History of Rangers FC

• A Rangers Glossary

Bears / Teddy Bears
    A nickname for the Rangers support/-ers, much like ‘Teddy Bears’. It is rhyming slang for ‘Gers, which in turn is an abbreviation of ‘Rangers’ and is pronounced /berrs/ in broad Glaswegian.

Bluenose
    Another nickname for a Rangers supporter, deriving from the famous blue colour of the Rangers’ jersey.

Foundation
    The club was officially founded in 1873 when it held its first annual meeting and elected their staff, though it was already playing under its name in May 1872.

Gers
    An often used abbreviation of ‘Rangers’ which eventually via rhyming slang gave birth to another nickname, ‘Bears’.

Glasgow Rangers
    Both names of the famous Glaswegian club – Rangers and Glasgow Rangers - are accepted as official, even though the club as such was founded as ‘The Rangers Football Club’. While in the world of football as well as nigh every person in Britain knows who is spoken about when the name Rangers is mentioned, in Europe the city’s name is added for convenience. The same goes, for example, for Germany’s Bayern Munich. Rangers are a public limited company, if you want to know any share issues, look here.

Follow Follow
    Follow Follow’ is the name of a song sung by Rangers supports all over the world, which can with some conviction being termed the club’s official anthem. It can be heard wherever the Rangers go, with various versions being aired.

Though the straits be broad or narrow,
    It's follow, we will! Follow we will, follow we will!
    Though the straits be broad or narrow,
    We follow we will, we will follow in the footsteps of our team!

Follow, follow! We will follow Rangers,
    Everywhere, anywhere we will follow on,
    Follow, follow! We will follow Rangers,
    If they go to Dublin we will follow on!

‘Follow Follow’ - often abbreviated as ‘FF’ - is also the name of a Rangers fanzine and its namesake website – which is accompanied by a “notorious” and outspoken board.

Ibrox - A goddess lives here. Her name is Victory!
    Officially called Ibrox Stadium but also known and referred to as Ibrox Park - this is the home of Rangers. Named after the district of Glasgow in which it is located, Ibrox has been home to the Rangers since it opened in 1899. Previous “homes” had been Flesher’s Haugh on Glasgow Green, Burnbank (Kelvinbridge), Kinning Park and finally, while Ibrox was build, Third Lanark’s homeground, Cathkin Park.
    The all-seater stadium has a capacity of just about 51,100.

Light Blues
    One of the many nicknames of the Rangers, coming from the colour of the jersey.

Murray Park
    The training facility of Rangers FC, opened in 2001 and located in Auchenhowie, Milngavie. It features indoor and out-door playing grounds, sometimes also used by the reserves, youth and ladies teams for their home games.

N.I.A.R. – Nine in a row
    One of the most successful spells of the team and well established in living memory: a sequence of successive Scottish league title wins, stretching from 1989 to 1997. The first trophy was won under the guidance of Graeme Souness, while the next eight came to Ibrox under the stewardship of Walter Smith. They also won three Scottish Cups and five League Cups during this spell, including the Treble in 1993, a season when they had a 44-game unbeaten run. That year, they almost reached the Champions League final too, only to be denied by group opponents Olympique Marseille on the last day of the group phase. (The French were soon after found guilty of match fixing and financial irregularities and demoted from the French top flight, their Champions League results stood though.)

Old Firm
    When being thought of as a unity Celtic F.C. and Rangers F.C., i.e. Glasgow’s two big football teams, are often denominated as the ‘Old Firm’. The origin of this title has never been determined, but common belief is that the rivalry between these two clubs have drawn many a customer or supporter of the football game to one side of the Old Firm and this provided them with an income which would else had gone to other teams. Thus, the ‘Old Firm’ benefited from this rivalry much like a company would. Given the Old Firm’s dominance of the game in Scotland one can hardly argue successfully against such a notion.

Rangers
    The name by which the club is known throughout the football world. Many more sides exists who also bear this name, but given their prominence and success in the early days of British and European football, the Glasgow side established themselves as prime contenders for anything that goes by the name and every follower of the game knows which team is meant by ‘Rangers’ now. (See also ‘Glasgow Rangers’ for more explanations.)

Ready
    Ready or Aye Ready is the motto depicted on the club’s crest. It originally was ‘Aye Work Awa’ before being turned into ‘Ready Aye Ready’, ‘Aye Ready’ and since 1966 just ‘Ready’.

Welcher Spruch genau und ab wann benutzt wurde, läßt sich kaum sagen, seit 1928 gibt es allerdings Ready bereits and der alten Stadionwand:
    http://i.imgur.com/OQZkxlq.jpg

The Legions
    A nickname given to the Rangers supporters, these days more often in song though. Rangers have always drawn large crowds and wherever the club travels throughout the world, the Legions will follow and support their side.

The Stands
    Broomloan Road, Copland Road, Govan Road, Main Stand (Edmiston Drive)

‘We are the People’
    A line often sung and aired by Rangers supporters these days. The origin is still debated, though most people seem to agree that it comes from the Biblical Psalm 95:7, saying: “He is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care.” As a chant it appeared during the late 1990s, the line can also be found in various Rangers songs before that though.

‘We welcome the chase’
    Part of a speech attributed to one of Rangers’ managers, Bill Struth (see post 7). These days most often used in reference to the club’s world record 54 league titles, mocking supporters of other teams of supposedly “record holding” teams.

• Need to know

Barcelona 1972
    The year in which Rangers won the European Cupwinner’s Cup, beating Dynamo Moscow in the final by 3 goals to 2.

BJK – ‘Big Jock Knew’
    Part of a chant, mocking the Celtic support. One of Celtic’s youth coaches, Jim Torbett, was caught laying hands on young boys in his care and later on it became known that the manager at the time, “Big Jock” Stein knew about it.

Build my Gallows
    A song sometimes aired for long spells during away games, telling the story of a Ulster freedom fighter sentenced to death.

I am a Loyal Ulster man
    They say this day that I must hang
    Cause I fought the IRA
    They say that I must pay
    Well they say this day that I must hang.

So build my gallows build them high
    That I might see before I die
    The Antrim glen and the hills of County Down
    And I'll see again the lights of home.

Celtic
    A football club of Glasgow, though where exactly in Ireland Glasgow is, has yet to be determined … (see Fenian for more details)

Derry’s Walls
    A song whose chorus is often sung by the Rangers support, meant to inspire the team and fellow supporters. It refers to a battle between Catholic troops marching on Derry, whose walls were guarded successfully by Protestants, amongst them the much celebrated apprentice boys.

And the cry was: No surrender!
    Surrender, or yell die, die, die!
    With heart, and hand, and sword, and shield,
    We’ll guard Old Derry’s walls!

Father’s Advice
    One of the chants that can often be heard at Rangers games …

Remember our fathers brave and bold,
    As they fought for Ulster's cause in far of lands, fuck Bobby Sands - he’s deid!
    For me father said to me: I must join the Y.C.V.,
    With a rifle and a pistol in my hand.

… with a militant background of the days when fighting the I.R.A. with a weapon in your hand was very much on the agenda in Ulster. Nowadays, it is more or less a song to get the people going, though the hardliners may disagree.

Fenian
    Let’s start off with the definition of the word in one of the world’s leading publications on the matter: James MacKillop’s - Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology.

Zitat

Neologism (DB, i.e., a new meaning for an older word) coined in 1804 by charlatan scholar Col. Charles Vallancey. Although apparently derived from Féni, a name for early, landed freeholders, Vallancey used it as an anglicization for fianna (DB, i.e., "warrior band"). In many 19th century writers, e.g. Sir Walter Scott, Fenian pertains to stories of Fionn mac Cumhaill. The ambiguous reference to both fianna and Fionn persists in the naming of the Fenian Cycle. In 1858 "Fenian" was adopted as an alternate name for the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a secret revolutionary society dedicated to the overthrow of English authority in Ireland. Never fully quashed, Fenian activity in the British Isles and North Amercia peaked in 1866-7. In the 20th century "Fenian" popularly denotes Republican anti-British activity, especially in the six counties of Ulster, still part of the United Kingdom.

(ODoCM, p.210)

Zitat

Féni, Féne. Name for the Goidels, allegedly the thrid invaders (sic!) of early Ireland, in their own language; the Féni followed the Érainn and the Lagin. Unlike their predecssors, the Féni are said to have migrated directly to Ireland from the Continent, not by the way of Britain. In early Irish usage, the term Féni implies the old, aboriginal, purest population, i.e. free land-tillers, as opposed to servants and slaves; honorifically, Féni implies 'true' Irish. In the Brehon Laws of early Ireland, the term fénechas denoted those laws applying to freeholders.

Féni is unrelated to the term fianna, although the neologism (i.e. new word for an old meaning/word) Fenian was dervived from a confusion between the two terms.

James MacKillop; Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology, 1998, p.209f

When a Rangers supporter uses this term, s/he does not refer to anything else but the terrorist group mentioned above or their supporters. No anti-Irish sentiments or the like, as modern day press- and media folk like to impart into anything the Bluenoses sing or utter.
    The Bears usually denominate the Celtic support as Fenians (much like the latter call themselves too (sic!)), as well as anyone connected to the I.R.A., which essentially is nothing but a successor of these “Fenians”. The term as such is not religious or sectarian, unless used in the context of Roman Catholics of Irish descent. Other than common opinion, the latter is not the pre-eminent notion when common Rangers supporters address those of Celtic as Fenians. For the Celtic support revels in the traditions of the "Fenian" I.R.A. terrorists, glorifying their personnel and deeds in many a song. People who are responsible for the deaths of more than 1,800 British citizens.

Here's your everyday Celt for you.

• FTP – F*ck the Pope
    A line that was a prominent attachment to some songs in the 1990s, first and foremost to annoy the Celtic support. For the sake of the argument that led to the banning of this add-on, the line actually sung was shortened by the prosecutors, as it usually goes like this: "F*ck the Pope and the I.R.A." which in turn clearly denotes the intended targets, something you might guess by now.

Orangeman
    Member of the Orange Order, a Protestant organization rooted in Northern Ireland. Their symbol, the orange sash, gave rise to a song that also features highly amongst the Rangers supporters’ playlist, The Sash my father wore.

Songs
    The Rangers songbook has oftentimes been described as being filled with many militant Protestant song, praising some battles and heroes of times long gone by, especially in the Northern Irish struggles against the Irish Catholic kings. They also supported the military and paramilitary forces in Ulster, dedicated to fight the terrorists of the I.R.A. et al. Though many Rangers supporters share the same sentiments these days, the support much like the politicians have indeed moved on. That does not stop them from singing these rousing songs when Rangers are playing, either to get themselves going or to annoy and mock the support of Celtic, who indulge in their pro-Ireland and sadly pro-I.R.A. stance wherever they go. It should be noted here, that the latter do not promote a picture of Ireland and its people here, for the Irish hardly care about that Scottish team who supports terrorists of times gone by. For some strange reason it is the Rangers support, singing pro-British songs, that is being targeted by the Scottish press as being discriminatory or sectarian or even racist. You cannot make that up …
    There are lots of songs about the club itself too, songs to get the people going and support the team. Some of which have been compiled in my Songbook. On of the most prominent songs - which is aired in spine-crawling volumes - goes like this ...

We are Rangers!
    We are Rangers!
    No-one likes us,
    We don't care!
    We hate Celtic,
    Fenian bastards,
    And we chase them,
    Everywhere!

'The Billy Boys' / TBB
    A Glasgow street gang during the 1920s, not related to football et al whatsoever. They happened to target Catholics and out of that rose, once again in a sense of mockery, a song which has been sung by the Rangers support at each and every occasion. It has installed fear in many an opponent’s team, as the whole of Ibrox reverberated to the sound of …

Hello, Hello,
    We are the Billy Boys!
    Hello, Hello,
    You'll know us by our noise,
    We're up to our knees in Fenian blood,
    Surrender or you'll die!
    For we are the Bridgeton Billy Boys!

In 2007, UEFA, upon the influence of people back in Scotland (you know who), demanded Rangers to stop their support from singing this “discriminatory” song during their games. All versions of the song were thus banned, which does obviously not stop any other Scottish team to sing it still, with a slightly changed wording. Why UEFA banned it is still a mystery to many, since Fenian, as presented above, does not mean “the Irish”, but is clearly related to the football context, i.e. the Celtic support and their love for the I.R.A. terrorists. You may call it offensive, of course, for walking in someone's blood is not something UEFA would want football supporters to do.

The “Famine Song”
    This is actually not a song, but just a chant, of which only the following lines are being aired by the Rangers support:

Well your Famine is over
    Why don't you go home?

The song as such does not target the Irish, or even worse, the large amount of dead the Famine did cause back 200 years ago. It actually mocks the Celtic support’s love for a country not their own (just have a look at their ground, the banners presented, the chants and songs their support indulges on, and you get the meaning). Of course, the tone of their songs is actually quite militant, praising people who killed thousands of Britons and Irishmen alike, as well as those who kill British soldiers all over the world these days. Make of that what you will. The “Famine Song” simply asks these deluded people up there at Parkhead: if you love that land so much,
    why don’t you go home? (Of course, as presented above, the Irish don’t want them!)
    The full-length song of the “Dirty Blighters” sprang up after the chant was introduced and is, as such never been sung at a Rangers game. Which does not exactly say that the support feels opposed to the lines therein.

The Sash
    A much celebrated and often-sung tune, which tells the story of an Ulsterman and his feelings about the Orange Order’s sash that his father and forefathers wore. Not exactly linked to the Rangers as such, but the Protestant tradition amongst their support. At the grounds, you’ll most likely encounter the refrain:

It is old but it is beautiful and it's colours they are fine,
    It was worn at Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and the Boyne,
    My father wore it when a youth, in those bygone days of yore,
    And it's on the Twelfth I love to wear the sash my father wore.

Tim/-s
    In West Central Scotland “Tim” is a nickname for a Roman Catholic. When used in Rangers songs and speech, Tim usually – and more often than not solely - refers to the Celtic support, supporters or players.

(To be continued ...)

• William McBeath ist einer "unserer Väter".

Traurig erschien bis heute der letzte Absatz:

McBeath's later life he was cast as a certified imbecile and ended in a poorhouse in Lincoln aged 52. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Washingborough Cemetery.

Das hat jetzt ein Ende. Diesem Foto muss man nichts mehr hinzufügen. WATP :rfc:

:rfc: Simply a Bear :rfc:

• The speech attributed to William Struth, featuring the much celbrated "We welcome the case!" line:

• [quote='Ayrshire_Billy_Boy on FF.com']
    Willie Robb - a tribute to a forgotten goalkeeping hero of Rangers

Part I:

Rangers have been blessed with some truly exceptional goalkeepers down through the years. Bears of certain vintages will wax lyrical about men like Jerry Dawson, Bobby Brown and Billy Ritchie, and more recent times have seen talents like Chris Woods, Andy Goram and Stefan Klos excelling in the Rangers goals. Exclusion from the preceding list is not in any way intended as a slur; it is just intended as an example to show the quality Rangers have had at their disposal in that particular position through the years. However, conversation of Rangers goalkeepers will inevitably contain the aforementioned and more, yet one name will not feature on many lists. His name was Willie Robb.

Willie Robb kept goal for Rangers in an astonishing 217 League games in a row from his debut on April 13th 1920 till October 24th, 1925. In short, he kept goal for five and a half seasons’ worth of League games without missing a solitary one. If we factor in the Scottish Cup then that adds another 27 games to the total. Factor in the Glasgow Cup – a big tournament in its day – and 19 gets added to the total. Factor in the Charity Shield and that adds a further 10 with his successor – Tom Hamilton - being selected for the 3 games in that tournament in 1924/25. If we look at the four tournaments then from the time of his debut till the time he missed a game then Willie Robb featured in 273 out of a possible 276 competitive first team games. If we look at the unbroken run up to the Charity Cup of 1924/25 then Willie Robb kept goal for Rangers for 257 times in a row. That in itself is a remarkable achievement but it is his consistency of appearance in League games he should be remembered for and this article seeks to pay tribute to a forgotten son of Ibrox.

It should be pointed out right at the start that this article is not as it should be; lack of time precluded consultation of all existing archives but it is hoped enough was gathered to paint a picture of the player in question and to allow others to form an idea of the type of goalkeeper he was and the part he played in the development and triumphs of Rangers.

A Ruglonian by birth, the story of Willie Robb’s involvement with Rangers began on Friday April 9th 1920 with news in the Scottish Press that a Willie Robb of non-league Armadale and previously of Birmingham City and Third Lanark (whom he played for during WW1) had signed for Rangers and would join up with his new Club the following season. Robb had been pivotal in Armadale’s exceptional Scottish Cup run of 1919/20 which had seen them defeat Clyde, Hibs and Ayr United only to lose at the quarter final stage to eventual winners Kilmarnock. However, Herbert Lock – the then current custodian of the Ibrox goals – injured himself in a 0-0 draw at Tynecastle on April 10 1920, necessitating Robb’s transfer to Ibrox to be brought forward and he was scheduled to make his debut at Somerset Park, Ayr on Tuesday April 13th, 1920. Thus he did, performing in a ‘masterly’ fashion according to a scribe of the time and helped Rangers win 2-1 in front of 15,000 in their 36th League game of the 1919/20 season. Robb’s run in that competition would last until he missed a game on October 31st, 1926.

Rangers clinched the title in Robb’s inaugural season as Rangers goalkeeper with a 0-0 draw at Dumbarton on Wednesday April 28th with Robb making a few fine saves in his first clean sheet as the Rangers goalkeeper. Robb saw the season out in goals as was the tradition then by taking part in the Charity Cup. It was not a success, however, as Rangers lost 2-1 to Celtic in the semi-final after defeating Partick Thistle 4-0 in the opening round.

The incomparable Bill Struth took over as manager on June 21st 1920 after the tragic death of William Wilton and took Rangers on a path to glory and himself to immortality. Willie Robb played a part at the start of this journey.

It is difficult to form a totally accurate picture of Robb as a goalkeeper as no TV footage of his is likely to exist, nor will there be many – if any - Rangers fans alive who saw him play. All the modern day researcher has to go on is accounts by journalists of the time. The descriptions of Robb are very favourable. He was 6 feet tall and very few mentions are made of him making any major errors; in fact, the limited descriptions of him there are refer to him as being brilliant’ and ‘outstanding’ during the course of various games of his opening career although he does appear to have had a habit of at times straying too far from his goal, such as in a 2-1 win at Rugby Park. Descriptions of the saves he made allow us to form a picture of a tall goalkeeper who was nonetheless able to get down quickly to either side when the need arose although a newspaper noted at the end of October 1920 that Robb had yet to be tested properly in the Rangers goal. It seems to have been a factor of his time at Ibrox that he was idle for long spells of the games he played in as Rangers dominated their opponents, meaning his concentration had to be complete. This he seems to have managed with little difficulty.

For a goalkeeper with such a successful club, representative honours were thin on the ground during his career. However, he was picked for the Scottish League’s XI for their fixture against their Irish counterparts at Ibrox in October 1920. Sadly, the heavy fog that descended on Glasgow on the day of the fixture necessitated the game’s postponement and he had to wait until January 25th before taking part in the fixture. In between times, he played a huge part in Rangers’ 1-0 win on January 15th 1920 which took Rangers 5 points clear of Celtic who had drawn 1-1 at Morton. Ten days later, as mentioned, he took part in the Inter-league game which resulted in a 3-0 win for Scotland in a game that featured Sandy Archibald. Robb, although rarely tested, kept a clean sheet which is all a goalkeeper can do during a game to call it a success.

As Rangers progressed to another title win, Robb, Billy McCandless and Bert Manderson were forming a triumvirate described as a ‘tip-top trio’ by an alliterative onlooker as the Rangers rearguard ended the season conceding only 24 goals from 42 league games, a wonderful statistic when viewed in the context of the time. It’s obvious an understanding had developed between the three players; a comparison can possibly be made with that of Woods, Butcher and Roberts in the second half of 1986/87 season. Despite success on the domestic front – apart from the Scottish Cup – further representative awards eluded Robb as he was not chosen for the inter-league fixture with England at Highbury.

• PS: Thanks Ayrshire for permission to post it here :nuke:

• A comment of David Leggat on the happenings during Manchester 2008, as written on his blog on August 27th, 2010 (incl. 80 comments).

• And on the same note ... Manchester 2008

Daily Record

• Ist schon erschreckend, wie solche Schwachköpfe bewiesene Vorfälle einfach verdrehen können. Und eben auch dürfen. Ist halt in der heutigen Zeit die große Kehrseite der ja eigentlich so unverzichtbaren Pressefreiheit. Sie kennt einfach keine Grenzen und sie darf ungestraft missbraucht werden.

:rfc: Simply a Bear :rfc:

• No Catholics in the Blue? You're having a laugh! Pre-Souness ...

Then followed Maurice "Mo" Johnston and dozens of foreigners like Amato, Cuellar, Caniggia, Albertz etc., who were all Catholics or the like.

Ergänzend zu oben ...

Zitat

Catholics who signed for Rangers before Johnston include, before the end of World War I: Pat Lafferty (1886), Tom Dunbar (1891–1892), J Tutty (1899–1900), Archie Kyle (1904–1908), Willie Kivlichan (1906–1907), Colin Mainds (1906–1907), Tom Murray (1907–1908), William Brown (1912), Joe Donnachie (circa.1914–1918) and John Jackson (1917). Thereafter, Catholic players prior to Mo Johnston's signing include: Laurie Blyth (1951–1952), Don Kitchenbrand (1955–1956), Hugh O'Neill (1976), John Spencer (1985–1992)

(Bill Murray, The Old Firm – Sectarianism, Sport and Society in Scotland (John Donald Publishers, 1984) pp 64–5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!