Rangers News

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

Hallo liebe qiumianer und qiumianerinnen,

mit dem Update auf die Forenversion 4.1 haben wir nun die Möglichkeit geschaffen, Bilder im Forum anzuzeigen.
    Dazu müsst ihr lediglich beim erstellen einer Nachricht auf den "Bild einfügen" Knopf drücken und dort die URL bzw. die Adresse des Bildes einfügen.
    Bitte beachtet auf jeden Fall Copyrights der Bilder die ihr verlinkt!
    Die Nutzungsbedingungen wurden dahingehend angepasst und sind ab nun zu beachten.
    Mit der Nutzung des Forums stimmt ihr diesen Nutzungsbedingungen bzw. deren Änderung zu!

Vielen Dank,
    Eure Admins :)

• Honouring Our Heroes

RANGERS will pay tribute to the brave marines of Scots-based 45 Commando who recently returned from a six-month tour of duty in Afghanistan at Sunday's SPL game with Hearts at Ibrox.

Over 50 members of 45 Commando - based in Arbroath - will be introduced to a packed crowd at half-time this weekend and selected members of their unit will also take part in a friendly game with the Club's Football in the Community team, coached by Rangers legend Mark Hateley, at Murray Park this afternoon.

The Marines returned from Helmand Province just a few days ago and Rangers manager Walter Smith was delighted to welcome these brave individuals to the training ground.

He commented: "It was a pleasure to meet the Marines at Murray Park today and I have no doubt our supporters will give them a well-deserved reception at Ibrox this weekend.

"Members of the armed forces who serve on the front line for their country are the true heroes in life and it will be an honour for us to welcome them to the Stadium on Sunday afternoon."

Last October, soldiers of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, who had also returned from Afghanistan, were given a standing ovation when they attended the Inverness Caledonian Thistle match at Ibrox and the Club made a £7,500 donation to Poppyscotland - a charity that supports Scottish veterans.

Rangers Chief Executive Martin Bain says the Club is totally committed to honouring these brave souls who give everything for their country.

He commented: "The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders enjoyed their visit to Ibrox earlier this season and it will be a privilege to host 45 Commando Royal Marines at the Stadium on Sunday.

"I know these Marines have just returned from a gruelling tour of duty in Helmand Province and several members of their unit were sadly killed or injured in action. It is difficult to imagine the conditions they have had to endure in the last six months and everyone associated with the Club owes them all a debt of gratitude as these brave men are putting their lives on the line for their country.

"Our supporters and everyone at Rangers will, I am sure, give them a wonderful and deserved reception this weekend."

Lieutenant Colonel Jim Morris, commanding officer of 45 Commando, added: "I would like to thank Rangers Football Club for inviting so many of the commandos to the Hearts game on Sunday. It is a terrific gesture, and walking out on to the Ibrox pitch in front of 50,000 people is something that the lads are looking forward to.

"45 Commando Group lost some very good friends and colleagues during our tour of duty in Afghanistan, and a number of others have suffered very serious injuries. It is of great comfort to all that their commitment and sacrifice will be recognised in such public circumstances."

Rangers FC
    • :floet: :floet: :floet: :floet: :floet:
      An alle Männer und jede Frau: Gleich welcher Herkunft, Der Rauch ist grau. An alle Staaten, alle Nationen: Wegen der Farbe wird man Niemanden verschonen. Samsas Traum
      we would like to see most of the human race killed off, because it is unworthy. It is unworthy of the gift of life. Behemoth
    • A Moment To Savour

By Andrew Dickson

POLL Rangers fans for their favourite moment supporting the club and some obvious choices will crop up.

The Cup Winners' Cup victory against Dynamo Moscow in 1972 is one,
      the night Nine in a Row was clinched at Tannadice a quarter of a
      century later another.

too is the day the Light Blues went to Parkhead and won their 48th
      league title with an emphatic 3-0 win over Celtic in Dick Advocaat's
      first season as manager at Ibrox.

It's hard to believe that this today it is exactly 10 years since
      Neil McCann's double and a Jorg Albertz penalty led to that dramatic
      victory.

For most Gers supporters, memories of the day remain as vivid now as
      they were in the weeks that followed their team's remarkable triumph.

Scheduled to start at 6.05pm so that it could be broadcast live by
      Sky Sports, a lot of people reflect on what unfolded over the next 90
      minutes for the wrong reasons.

Generally regarded - maybe even accepted - as Scotland's shame game,
      it was a match in which referee Hugh Dallas was struck by a coin and
      several home fans invaded the pitch.

Three players were also sent off and a man fell from the second tier
      of the Jock Stein Stand as many of those in attendance let the occasion
      get the better of them.

Yet as it was, the visiting Light Blues support's behaviour wasn't
      in question and the club's only blemish back then was Rod Wallace's red
      card four minutes from full time.

consequently goes down as one of Rangers' greatest Old Firm victories
      and on the day they claimed their 100th derby success, taking the title
      too made it so much sweeter.

A decade on, the SPL's decision not to have such a match deciding
      the outcome of the championship again - a ruling made in the aftermath
      - stands firm.

That's why Rangers and Celtic will meet for the final time this term
      on May 9 - a date when it's impossible for either team to win the
      league on the day - rather than later on.

There's something sad about that when you consider the side that
      came out on top in 1999 played little part in the shameful scenes
      witnessed at Parkhead.

For everyone with Ibrox connections, the way Gers took their Glasgow
      rivals on in Advocaat's debut season and won on their own patch is to
      be celebrated.

The Little General's men were the better team on the day and better
      over the course of the season as they went on to take the silverware by
      six points.

Neil
      McCann gave Rangers an early lead on 13 minutes when he poked in
      Wallace's low, fast cross after he had been released by Giovanni van
      Bronckhorst.

And Albertz made it 2-0 from the spot on the stroke of half-time to
      spark bedlam at both ends, given Dallas had been treated after being
      hit on the head by a coin seconds earlier.

It says much about the former official that he called every major
      decision in the game correctly, including Vidar Riseth's foul on Tony
      Vidmar that led to the penalty.

It may say more about Albertz that of the 76 goals he scored for the
      club, his finish in the city's east end was one of his coolest as he
      sent keeper Stewart Kerr the wrong way.

"It wasn't hard for me to concentrate on the penalty because I liked making decisions like that on the park," the German said.

"I knew that if I missed we would probably have allowed Celtic back into the game but I was strong enough mentally to cope.

"In fact, I was looking forward to taking the kick. It was probably
      the most important one of my career because of what was at stake.

"It was the best atmosphere I've ever played in that day at Parkhead but it was also the most dangerous.

"It was only one or two idiots who ran on to the pitch to take a
      swipe at Dallas and in hindsight it could have been a lot worse had
      others decided to charge on.

"You get nervous when you see people running on to the park but the majority of fans would never think of doing that.

"You always get abuse from fans when you go away but that's part of
      the game - it's more serious when people start trying to attack the
      referee.

"Dallas deserved a lot of respect for how he handled the situation
      as it was all going off around him when he awarded us the penalty.

"When you watched the game back on television later, you saw that every call he made proved to be right."

McCann - now at Falkirk - ensured Gers would be crowned champions when he slotted in the clincher 15 minutes from full-time.

Moved inside to support Gabriel Amato up front, Advocaat's decision
      to give the little winger a slightly different role was a masterstroke
      as it paid off handsomely.

Substitute Jonatan Johansson threaded him in on goal with a cute touch and McCann rounded Kerr to slot into the empty net.

But his run took him straight in the direction of seething Celtic
      fans as he celebrated and it goes without saying that he was quick to
      veer away from them again.

McCann said: "I knew as soon as I had scored the third we were
      champions but I was also conscious of what was going on around me.

"I didn't want to cause a riot with my celebrations and my momentum
      was carrying me towards the Celtic fans so I had to slam the brakes on
      pretty quickly.

"As I changed direction and I started to run towards the Rangers
      fans, I definitely let myself go a little bit more but that's not
      surprising.

"Scoring
      the goal that clinched the championship was a great honour and it is
      something I will never forget. It was a great feeling.

"I was delighted with both goals because I was just looking for us to win the game and to score twice was out of this world.

"The first was very special for me because it put us in a very good position and set the ball rolling.

"But my second was my favourite because I knew that as soon as I had rounded the keeper we had won the championship."

Of course, the shameful incidents at Parkhead 10 years ago weren't
      on the same scale as some of the troubles at previous Old Firm games.

Exactly 100 years back, for example, fans of both sides rioted for
      four hours when it was decided extra-time would not be played in a
      Scottish Cup final replay between the clubs.

As the trophy was withheld, troublemakers tore down barricades, lit
      fires and fought with police and it was a similar story in running
      battles after the 1980 final at Hampden.

What
      happened in 1999 has still left a lasting impression though and from
      Gers' point of view, it was for keeping their heads when others were
      losing theirs.

"It was an incredible match and the whole experience is something
      I'll never forget," McCann added. "It was the most amazing atmosphere
      I've ever played in.

"I thought it was all going to boil over when Dallas was hit by a coin and a couple of fans started to stream on to the pitch.

"I think we were all a bit scared as we thought about the
      consequences but we had to retain our concentration and just get on
      with the game.

"The majority of the players involved managed to keep their cool but there were a few who lost it.

"I didn't understand some of the Celtic players who lost the place
      because they must have known what was at stake for their club.

"Probably the pressure and atmosphere on the night got to them but I
      was pleased we held it together and I think we deserved our win.

"To go there and win the championship was obviously very special for everyone involved with Rangers."

For Advocaat, claiming his first title in Scotland gave him the second part of what was to become a magnificent Treble.

The
      sixth in the club's history, it was completed when Wallace's strike
      gave Rangers a single-goal Old Firm victory in the Scottish Cup final
      four weeks later.

Advocaat went on to win the league and Scottish Cup again before
      stepping aside and making way for Alex McLeish to take his place in the
      hot seat in December 2001.

His first campaign was undoubtedly his best at the Ibrox helm and even he couldn't have imagined it going so well.

Advocaat said: "It was a big occasion for the Rangers fans to win
      that game against Celtic and we were very proud to have done that for
      them.

"I was absolutely delighted with the way we both played and
      controlled ourselves. I think we deserved the championship over the
      course of that season.

"We lost the first game then went top after the third match and from
      then on we stayed there. We deserved a lot of credit for that.

"When you look at what we did in Europe and our triumphs in the
      championship, Scottish Cup and the League Cup, I don't think it could
      have gone any better.

"I'm a person who likes to win and that year was a good one for me. What we achieved in that season exceeded my expectations."
    • Gaffer Scoops April Award

RANGERS have been handed a timely boost ahead of today's game against Hearts with Walter Smith being named Clydesdale Bank Manager of the Month for April.

The manager has guided the club to four consecutive league victories against Falkirk, St. Mirren, Motherwell and Hibs and to the Scottish Cup final thanks to a 3-0 win over St. Mirren at Hampden on April 25.

The results have kept the Light Blues' double hopes alive and they will be looking to make it six wins on the bounce this afternoon when they face Csaba Laszlo's Jambos at Ibrox.

Rangers were three points behind Celtic at the top of the league at the start of April but they managed to close the gap to just a point with Gordon Strachan's men taking ten points from a possible twelve during the same period.

Celtic, of course, moved four clear yesterday with their win at Aberdeen so Rangers are under pressure to claw that back today.

Rangers FC
    • Bougie's Night

MADJID BOUGHERRA has been named as the Rangers Player of the Year at tonight's glittering ceremony in Glasgow's Hilton Hotel. The Algerian was chosen by the club's supporters as the standout performer in Walter Smith's side this season and he succeeds the 2008 winner Carlos Cuellar. It was a night to remember for Bougherra as he also claimed the John Greig Achievement Award for the good example he has been since joining Gers from Charlton. The 26-year-old has shown great consistency in his 34 Light Blues appearances so far, scoring once against Hibernian back in September. And he was thrilled to have his efforts recognised by an Ibrox support which has taken him to their hearts in the last few months. Bougherra said: "This is fantastic for me because it is my first year here and to have two trophies really means a lot. Everything is perfect. "It was a surprise to me that I won because the likes of Steven Davis, Pedro Mendes and big Davie Weir were all in contention. "Allan McGregor and Kris Boyd were there too and each one of those players could have won it instead of me. "I am very pleased because if the fans vote for you to win, it means you have done very well. I've given everything for the team and I want to win the title. "This is the biggest night of my career. When you win trophies like these, you have more motivation to win the title with the team as well. "I dedicate this to the Rangers fans and thank them for the trophy but this is also for the people of Algeria too. "Because I play for Rangers, there are many Rangers fans over there now and this is for them."

One of the men nominated alongside Bougherra for the main prize, Steven Davis, was picked as the Players' Player of the Year. His quick feet, intelligence and work ethic have made him a real fans' favourite and he was delighted his team-mates agreed with the supporters. Davis said: "I'm really chuffed. It's really good to have your fellow professionals voting for you like that. "They're the guys I work and train with every week. I've put a lot of effort in throughout the season and I'm really pleased they recognise that."

Completing the list of victors were Portuguese midfielder Pedro Mendes, 30-goal hitman Kris Boyd and youth prospect John Fleck. Mendes was given the Carling Fans' Goal of the Season award for his rasping drive in the 4-2 win over Celtic in August. Boyd was the first recipient of the Sam English Bowl, which will be awarded annually to the leading goalscorer. And Fleck retained the Young Player of the Year prize he won in 2008 for his performances since becoming a permanent member of the first-team squad this year.

RangersFC :rangersklatsch: :tbofahne:
    • Ups, wir melden uns zu Wort. :was:

Bougherra Decision 'Incredible'

WALTER SMITH is fuming after finding out why Madjid Bougherra was sent off after today's 2-1 victory over Aberdeen at Ibrox.

Linesman Graham Chambers informed the Gers gaffer that he felt the Algerian deliberately kicked Dons' keeper Jamie Langfield in the head after the pair collided going for a 50/50 challenge.

Smith insists the explanation was 'incredible' and was unsure if the club could appeal the decision.

He said: "To be honest I don't know if we can do that.

"There was a couple of things in the media during the week that suggests they need to get a review panel together before looking at sending offs.

"According to our lads nothing will happen until next season which is obviously not much good to anybody.

"But whatever happens it was an incredible sending off.

"I have seen both red cards and first of all I have to say I was disappointed with my own player's reaction to Aberdeen's.

"I didn't think there was any great contact at all and I will need to have words with Kyle.

"But the second sending off is incredible.

"The linesman has stated to me that the player deliberately kicked the goalkeeper in the head which I find absolutely incredible.

"It meant we lost a player for the majority of the game for a circumstance that was not the case."

Bougherra's sending off is the second controverial decision against Rangers in the space of four days after Nacho Novo's goal against Hibs was disallowed when it appeared to cross the line.

Rangers FC
    • Smith sees red at Madjid dismissal

Rangers manager Walter Smith branded the red card issued to Madjid Bougherra during the Gers' 2-1 win over Aberdeen as "incredible".

But the Ibrox boss was also disappointed with the part Kyle Lafferty had to play in Charlie Mulgrew's dismissal earlier in the game.

Both teams ended the Scottish Premier League clash with 10 men as a result of the controversial decisions.

Mulgrew saw red after just 18 minutes for an alleged headbutt on Lafferty, which the Northern Ireland international appeared to make the most of.

Bougherra then followed the Dons player down the tunnel for a challenge on goalkeeper Jamie Langfield shortly before half-time.

Smith said: "I've seen both orderings-off on one occasion and I've got to say, first and foremost, I was disappointed with my own player's reaction to the first ordering-off.

"I don't think there was any great contact made there at all and obviously we will have to have words with Kyle.

"The second ordering-off was incredible. The linesman has stated to me that the player deliberately kicked the goalkeeper in the head, which I found absolutely incredible when I saw it [again] and even [when I saw it] from the stand.

"For him to make that kind of assumption is incredible. We've lost a player for the majority of the game for a circumstance which is obviously not the case."

Smith believes Mulgrew's dismissal did Rangers no favours either, adding: "It had a negative effect on what happened in the game. For a long period of the game, it wasn't as open as it was before the ordering-off."

Smith and Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood both look set to appeal the sending-offs, with referee Stuart Dougal appearing to take advice from his assistant Graham Chambers on both occasions.

"I've not seen it to be honest," Calderwood said of Mulgrew's red card.

"The lads on TV said it was nothing. Seemingly, someone was saying big Kyle was feigning injury and could have been sent off but it was our boy who was sent off.

"I like Stuart. Don't get me wrong, I've had a few run-ins with him over the years but he will admit if he has made a mistake.

"I don't think it was his decision to be honest; I think the linesman gave it. If Stuart looks at it and says he made a mistake, hopefully Charlie can appeal and we can take it from there.

"I don't know the rules; they are a wee bit too complicated for me."

On Bougherra's red card, Calderwood added: "I didn't really see it but I thought it was harsh. It was just enthusiasm going in.

"With both down to 10 men, it was just defence against attack. It was a great game for the neutrals but, for us, it was a disappointing result and I felt we could have got something from the game."

An own-goal from Richard Foster and a Kenny Miller header sealed the win for Rangers, despite Michael Paton pulling a goal back for the Dons.

The three points were enough for Smith's men to return to the top of the table, albeit top spot will be reclaimed by Celtic if they defeat Hibernian at Easter Road on Sunday.

"We were pleased to win the match," said Smith.

"We would have hoped to have got one or two more goals but we didn't do so. We were pleased to win in the circumstances. That was the most important thing."

The clash at Ibrox also saw Barry Ferguson come off the bench to make his first appearance since being stripped of the captaincy and banned by the club for his role in the 'Boozegate' affair.

But Smith was keen to play down his deposed skipper's dramatic comeback.

When asked about his thinking behind Ferguson's involvement, he said simply: "He was fit to play and I felt he was ready to play.

"He hadn't played for seven weeks but he got some extra training over the last week. He was fit to play and that's why he was involved."

TT
    • Walter Smith: I'll have a word with Kyle Lafferty after he let himself down with red card

May 17 2009 Gavin Berry

RANGERS boss Walter Smith last night slammed Kyle Lafferty for his Ibrox theatrics after watching his side return to the top of the SPL with a tense 2-1 victory over Aberdeen.

The Northern Ireland international threw himself to the ground after going head-to-head with Dons star Charlie Mulgrew who was then sent off.

But replays clearly showed Lafferty, who was also caught winking after Mulgrew's 16th-minute dismissal, made the most of the incident.

And Smith vowed to have words with the former Burnley man after admitting the player let himself down.

Walter said: "I was disappointed with my player's reaction. I didn't think there was any great contact made and we'll have words with Kyle.

"Aberdeen began in an aggressive manner but when they went to 10 men we had to get through two banks of four. So it was more difficult.

"They were getting players forward with 11 men. So it was not as open as it was before the ordering-off."

After Mulgrew's early dismissal, Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra was also sent off for a challenge on Dons goalie Jamie Langfield.

And Smith was raging with referee Stuart Dougal and linesman Graham Chambers over the decision. Bougherra is now OUT of next week's final SPL match against Dundee United at Tannadice as the title race goes right to the wire. But the club will do all they can to launch an appeal.

He said: "The second red card was incredible. The linesman told me Madjid deliberately kicked the goalkeeper in the head.

"For him to make that assumption is incredible and we lost a player for the majority of the game. I don't know what the appeals process is and that's something we will have to look at in the next few days."

The game was still scoreless when Bougherra was sent packing but Gers claimed a vital win thanks to a Ricky Foster own goal and Kenny Miller's header.

Both came after the shock introduction of shamed former skipper Barry Ferguson who made his first top team appearance since the Boozegate scandal.

Dons sub Michael Paton made Rangers sweat when he pulled one back but Smith's side held on. The Ibrox men failed to boost their goal difference but Smith was just pleased with the win that took them back above Celtic.

He said: "It was all about winning. You can't go in to games looking for a number of goals - you have to win.

"We could have added to the scoreline and I'm disappointed we didn't. But the most important thing was winning the match.

"I felt it was going to be awkward because we had a tough game at Hibs in midweek."

Ferguson's return was a shock after nine games out following a club suspension and injury. But Smith said: "Barry was fit to play and that's why he was brought back."

SM
    • Red card for Madjid Bougherra was harsh, says Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield

ABERDEEN keeper Jamie Langfield has the stud marks to prove Madjid Bougherra caught him with a flying boot - but still believes the Rangers defender should not have been sent off.

Langfield was at the centre of controversy yesterday as he went down under a late challenge from Bougherra during his side's 2-1 defeat.

The Ibrox stopper was harshly ordered off by referee Stuart Dougal on the advice of linesman Graham Chambers and will now miss next week's crunch clash against Dundee United at Tannadice.

Although Langfield bears the scars from the challenge he does not believe there was any malice in Bougherra's slide tackle.

He said: "I've clearly been caught by Bougherra but I only had eyes on the ball which was there to be won. I think he was going for the ball as well.

"I'm not sure if it was a sending-off or if it was deliberate. I was too busy lying on the deck with stud marks on my neck.

"I suppose if it was at the other end I'd be saying the decision was harsh. I wasn't cheating and was genuinely injured."

Aberdeen also had Charlie Mulgrew harshly sent off early on after some theatrics from Gers star Kyle Lafferty.

Langfield was pleased with the way his side responded and thought the Dons deserved to get something from the game.

He said: "When you go down to 10 men with 75 minutes left against a titlechasing side you start to fear for yourself.

"But we acquitted ourselves well and were unfortunate to concede two goals in the second half.

"We will probably play worse here and win - that's the best we've played at Ibrox in my time here."

SM
    • Lafferty - I'm Sorry

KYLE LAFFERTY has apologised for his actions in Saturday's 2-1 win over Aberdeen and has admitted he has let down the club, the fans, the match officials and Dons defender Charlie Mulgrew.

Lafferty went down easily in the 17th minute when Mulgrew remonstrated with him on the Govan Stand touchline after the Rangers player had tackled him which led to referee Stuart Dougal sending off the Aberdeen player.

Rangers have fined Lafferty for his actions and have expressed their severe disappointment over his behaviour.

Charlie Mulgrew is sent offLafferty has vowed to apologise personally to Mulgrew for the way he behaved.

In a statement to the official web site Lafferty said: "I want to apologise for my actions in Saturday's match with Aberdeen.

"It was something I should not have done and I deeply regret what happened.

"I will make a personal apology to Charlie Mulgrew because he should not have been sent off.

"I also want to apologise to the referee and his assistants. It is difficult enough for officials to handle important SPL matches without me making it more difficult by behaving the way I did.

"I also totally accept that I have let down the club and the supporters.

"There are standards at Rangers Football Club that need to be upheld and I have fallen way below these standards.

"What I did was wrong and I would like to say sorry to the supporters because they should expect better from a Rangers player.

"Their backing on Saturday was fantastic - as it has been all season - and for me to behave the way I did was completely wrong."

Das ist Sport, wie er sein sollte :rangersklatsch:
    • Bougherra Appeal

RANGERS have lodged an appeal against the red card administered to Madjid Bougherra in Saturday's 2-1 win over Aberdeen.

The Light Blues hope that the decision will be over-turned so that the Algerian defender will be free to play in Sunday's final SPL match of the season at Tannadice when they have the chance to win the Championship.

Bougherra slid in to try to get on the end of a pass by Stevie Whittaker and made contact with Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield.

He was dismissed by referee Stuart Dougal on the advice of assistant Graham Chambers who felt that the Rangers centre back deliberately tried to kick Langfield.

Rangers are hoping that when the incident is looked at again it will be decided that there was no such intent from the Rangers Supporters Player of the Year.

Rangers FC
    • Win So Vital

CHIEF EXECUTIVE Martin Bain has praised the Rangers players for handling the title pressure and clinching a win that will be so vital for the club as a whole.

The title triumph means Rangers can look forward to direct qualification to the group phase of the Champions League and that means as much as £10million.

It could mean the difference between players remaining at Rangers or moving on and the whole outlook for the club has been massively enhanced.

Bain told rangers.co.uk: "I have dreamt about this moment and I'm absolutely delighted for everyone in this stadium.

"We have waited a long time and after our exertions in Europe last season we just missed out so to win it this year is fantastic.

"There was a huge pressure this week and the players deserve great credit. They played fantastically well to win this championship.

"It;s been tough for everyone at the club in recent times and it's not just about the people on the pitch it's the people off the pitch too. Sometimes they don't get the credit they deserve and it's really nice that we have won the championship for everybody concerned.

"Winning means everything for the club. European football is terribly important and we know what the Champions League can bring us.

"This has put everyone on a massive high and gives us such a bright oulook. The championship trophy has been away from Ibrox for too long and hopefully we can keep it there."

Rangers FC
    • SPL champions Rangers have last laugh on Celtic's Samaras as they celebrate title win

May 25 2009 by Gary Ralston and David McCarthy

ECSTATIC Rangers players celebrated their stunning title triumph last night - after taking a swipe at big-mouth Celt Georgios Samaras.

Walter Smith's men thumped Dundee United 3-0 at Tannadice to clinch their first crown since 2005.

They ripped apart Dundee United - who losed out on a European place to Aberdeen - with goals from Kyle Lafferty, Pedro Mendes and Kris Boyd to the delight fo their fans.

And there was no disguising the Ibrox players' delight as they chanted "ooh ah Samaras" following the Greek striker's stinging attack on Rangers in the build-up to the flag decider.

Samaras said in Friday's Daily Record he would ather lose the title than play like Gers and that Gordon Strachan's men were the better side regardless of who finished top.

But Rangers had the last laugh as they clinched an automatic place in the Champions League group stage while Celtic, who drew 0-0 at home to Hearts, face two tough qualifiers.

Asked if Samaras' pinions had spurred him on, Rangers skipper Davie Weir said: "You don't need fired up to win a title but I'm sure if you were a team-mate of his you would have been disappointed to read things like that.

"But that's their issue - ours was on the pitch playing and performing and you must give our lads a lot of credit for the way they performed today.

"That was a big game but we answered every question posed of us in exactly the right way."

Team-mate Madjid Bougherra said: "We honestly didn't care about what was said. Football is played on the pitch and not in the newspapers."

Jubilant boss Walter Smith insisted he would be back next season to go for the club's 53rd championship - so long as chairman Sir David Murray doesn't bin him.

He said: "I will discuss the financial situation with him but unless he is going to sack me I will be here."
      DR
    • SIX Rangers first-team players will miss out on an SPL winners' medal.

League rules state a player must have made10 appearances for the champions to receive the gong.

Veteran defender Christian Dailly fell just short having made nine appearances for the Gers.

Wonderkid John Fleck turned out for the Light Blues on eight occasions - the same total as frontman Andrius Velicka.

Stevie Naismith featured seven times and Stevie Smith made five appearances . Loan-star Charlie Adam, who had a six-month spell with Blackpool, also misses out on a memento having played only nine games for the Ibrox outfit before his switch.

DR